Regulations + LEED Credits
Not only does bike parking increase demand for your property, in DC it is required by city codes. We can help you navigate the requirements and regulations for residential and commercial building so you are in compliance with city codes.
Bicycle parking is required in all buildings with car parking in DC, with some exceptions. Bicycle parking must be:
- Accessible from the building and street or other bike right-of-way.
- Secure, well-lit, and located within the building on the ground floor, basement first cellar level.
The number of bicycle parking spaces required are dependent on the number of car parking spaces required and year the building was built.
- The number of bicycle parking spaces must equal at least 5% of required car spaces.
- n buildings built before March 1, 1985, 1% of the amount of required parking spaces can be converted to bike parking spaces.
DC continues to leads the nation in green building. Bicycle facilities in new construction can gain developers points toward their LEED certification. LEED's Bicycle Facilities credit is intended to:
- Promote bicycling and transportation efficiency and reduce vehicle distance travelled.
- Improve public health by encouraging physical activity.